Monday, October 13, 2008

Rosalind Hursthouse Smoking

Review Process : selection memoir

This week, the magazine Process offers a selection of memoirs of former IFE president Luis Carlos Ugalde . The book is titled So I lived, a witness to the 2006 presidential election and will be published by Grijalbo. As always with the memoirs of men who have devoted themselves to politics (Carlos Salinas de Gortari, Jose Lopez Portillo), there is little reason to think otherwise Ugalde attempt to "clear his name"; however, revelations that are interesting words reveal Ugalde, even if you "read between the lines." For example, although Ugalde seeks to portray himself as having been largely independent of Elba Esther Gordillo, its own that it makes a mockery and enhances participation in the electoral process Gordillo. Also made in a cautious Ugalde a question: Would President Felipe Calderón today if the IFE would not have tolerated for so long, dirty campaign and super-entrepreneurs PAN against Andrés Manuel López Obrador? In this blog we offer a "selection of the selection" of what he wrote Ugalde, hoping to arouse the desire readers to acquire the number of this week process, one of the few national magazines that attempts to objectively cover the most important events in the political life of our country (Note: comments in parentheses following paragraphs makes process, not Ugalde).

(...) The central question is whether the conflict after July 2 reflects the fact that races were unequal. If Fox had not spoken and employers had not provided its spots, "López Obrador would have accepted the result that helped him? And most importantly perhaps, would he have won Felipe Calderon? (...)



By 11:40 pm (from July 2, 2006), just before entering the last General Council meeting, when he went to board the van that transported me to meeting room, talked to the President (Fox). The talk was prickly and unpleasant.

"Mr. President, as I have heard, the election is so close that we could not announce who has won the election for president.

expected a response from institutional support. There was not. Dry and arrogant tone he said it was a pity that no winner was announced. According to him, all surveys "serious" showed a clear winner (...) He said he was placing the country in a situation of lawlessness by not giving the winner.

Then I got angry and exalted. How was it possible that Fox will reclaim the electoral authority and, in her words, suggested as a mistake not to win! The IFE is an authority that works if any, and our role was not to announce victories "that have good governance," but to give results, even if they are that, based on hard information had not yet won. (...)

With its tone and attitude, Fox sought to transfer to me because of the potential of the country ungovernable. He forgot that his statements during the campaign had helped to build a climate of conflict. Annoyed, I said,

"My role as president of the IFE is to respect the resolutions of the General Council and abide by the decision of the quick count. The committee informed me that the election is so close that it is impossible to know who won. And I did. We hung

abruptly. I was pretty upset. I guess he was gone.

When I was coming down the truck (...), (Alex) Rios Camarena (Ugalde secretary) received a call from your phone Elba Esther Gordillo.
-Talk
Elba Esther Gordillo. Luis Carlos Ugalde get me, "said the leader teachers.

"Dr. Ugalde can not take the call, is about to enter the General Council meeting.

- How you can not take the call! You do not know who I am.

As we walked to enter the meeting room, I watched Alejandro upset. At that time did not know who spoke. Elba Esther said

"I need to talk to him because he is putting the country in a very serious situation. Need to talk to him before the session starts. Rios Camarena

insisted

"I can not tell them.

The refusal of Alexander infuriated "the teacher." She had been manager of my election as president of the IFE in 2003 and at the most critical of my performance my private secretary denied talk to me. Insulted him and said he regretted having voted for me as president of the IFE years earlier.

"It was the worst mistake of my life," said Elba Esther.

Alexander cut the call. (...) It was 11:45 pm. As we entered the Chamber felt a tense atmosphere. Very different from the morning session. The phone rang again Rios Camarena.

"I must speak with a counselor president.

was again Elba Esther Gordillo.

"You can not take the call, shot back, Rios Camarena.

"Tell him he lacked the courage to say who won.

(...) Later someone who had witnessed the conversation of Elba Esther with my secretary told me he was furious. I wanted to announce that Calderon had won. (...) When hanging was quoted as saying: "I missed

eggs Ugalde. (...)



(That same July 2, before talking to Fox Ugalde, Rios Camarena had answered another call.)

(Rios Camarena) told me: "Felipe Calderon wants talk to you. "I made a silent cry to arms, in a tone of rejection. (...) All the rules were known and were visible
(...).
" Dr. Ugalde not taking any calls candidate immediately, "said Rios Camarena, observing my reaction. On the other side of the line insisted that Calderón wanted to talk.

" Sorry, "said Camarena-Rios, is a decision for days and not talk to any candidate.

From four in the afternoon, Felipe Calderón was certain he had won the election, and wanted the president of the IFE announced (...) However, was based on an error. Indeed, literally went up in most exit polls, but the distance that separated him was so small that the quick count would be insufficient to determine with full certainty that the PAN candidate was the winner that night.

(During the campaign, when the IFE TEPJF ordered the suspension of spots where it was described Lopez Obrador as a danger to Mexico, "Calderon also had spoken by telephone with Ugalde.)

IFE argued that if the forbidden (the spots), it would limit freedom of expression and there would be a blow to democracy. His tone reflected discomfort. Expressed it was unacceptable that we gave directors against claims of the PRD. He said he had a right to speak his mind, and that the IFE could not prohibit it.

(...) I told him the sign of the Electoral Court was very clear. "The judges want to stop negative campaigning. If not us," he explained, they will do, and I can not allow the IFE is ignoring a clear message in front of judges. " (...)

The tone of the talk was rough. Calderon insisted that we had no right to withdraw their spots.

"I am sorry, but my vote is in favor of the removal of spots and did not change my" I reiterated to the PAN candidate.

Over time I have often reminded that conversation. I reflected on the contrast between a candidate Felipe Calderon was a defender of freedom of expression, at the expense of what was, and as President Felipe Calderon issued a constitutional amendment in November 2007, which prohibits the kind of publicity policy that he used against AMLO and defended before me in April 2006 (...).

0 comments:

Post a Comment